religion

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 9 16:56:29 PDT 2000

Rob Schaap wrote:

>G'day Bill,
>
>>Jewish 36,700 7
>
>Mebbe status/rank is actually an average of two variables - implying a
>group's social status can be so low as to drag it below their average
>income ranking? Then again, mebbe Doug's scanner needs a clean.

I typed that years ago before I had a scanner.

"Status is a composite of four measures: income, percent with college degree, percent full-time year-round workers, percent homeowners," it says. I'm guessing all the Jewish renters in NYC pull down their status, because it's hard to believe the other components would be hard on Jews.

>And, anyway, what does 'Christian' mean here? Why the seperate billing?

It's a survey of self-identification, and that's what some people called themselves.

By the way, the number of non-Christian/non-Jewish self-identifiers was surprisingly tiny - Islam and Asian religions barely showed up.

Doug