"Christian"

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jul 9 23:15:50 PDT 2000

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Gordon Fitch wrote:

> Carrol Cox:
> > There is in the U.S. a *denomination* called the *Christian Church* -- I
> > know nought about it except you will find in in the Yellow Pages of the
> > telephone directory in most localities.
>
> Also known as "the Disciples of Christ". As Ronald Reagan was one,
> you can find out quite a bit about them in Gary Wills's
> _Reagan's_America_ (1987: Doubleday). James Garfield and Lyndon
> Johnson were also members, according to Wills.

Except that the Disciples of Christ already appear in this table (spot #2). As do the group they split off from, the Churches of Christ. All I can guess is that there must be at least one more church that calls itself *the* Christian Church.

Of course it makes sense when you think about it. When people refer to leftist groupuscles as sectarian, they're being metaphorical. These people are the originals.

Michael