US troops in trouble again on Japanese island

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 10 23:20:15 PDT 2000

Monday, July 10 3:50 PM SGT

US troops in trouble again on Japanese island TOKYO, July 10 (AFP) -

Japan's government protested Monday after a US air force sergeant was accused of a hit-and-run traffic accident on Okinawa island.

It was the second incident in a week involving US forces on the southern island, which is to host the Group of Eight (G8) leaders from July 21-23, including US President Bill Clinton.

The latest accusation was less serious than the previous case, in which a drunken US marine was accused of breaking into an apartment and molesting a 14-year-old girl in her bedroom.

But it still provoked an angry reaction from Tokyo.

"It is deeply regrettable to see another crime," Chief Cabinet Secretary Hidenao Nakagawa told a news conference.

"The Japanese government strongly demands the US side take concrete and comprehensive measures to prevent such a thing from happening again," Nakagawa said.

Tokyo hoped the alleged US crimes would not overshadow the G8 summit. "Okinawans are very proud to have the summit there," Nakagawa said. "The summit should not be directly affected by this and the important thing is that we should make it a success."

On Sunday, Okinawa police arrested 21-year-old Air Force Staff Sergeant Johnny Miller on suspicion of fleeing the scene after driving through a red light and hitting a pedestrian in Okinawa City.

The 27-year-old Okinawan suffered minor bruising to his legs, according to the police.

Resentment against the US force is already bubbling over with the molestation accusations.

US Lieutenant General Earl Hailston, commanding general in Okinawa, has ordered a midnight curfew on all 25,000 troops from July 14 to 24, said a Marines statement.

Drinking alcohol, even at home, will be banned from July 20 to 24. Alcohol consumption will also be restricted to between 4.30 p.m. and midnight from July 14 to 19.

A curfew banning US troops from Okinawa City between 1:00 a.m and 5:00 a.m. was only lifted in October last year.

It was imposed in 1995 after three US marines raped a 12-year-old schoolgirl, leading to island-wide demonstrations and an agreement to close several US bases.

Okinawa Governor Keiichi Inamine said he hoped to meet with President Clinton to convey islanders' frustration about the US military bases.

"I want the President to feel what we feel," Inamine said.

"Many people want the US bases to be reduced and if I have a chance to meet him, I would like to directly convey this feeling."