Naomi Klein: "The Vision Thing"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 12 10:24:30 PDT 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

>CB: Actually, isn't capital becoming more centralized ?

Ownership is; production isn't.

> Monopolies are centralization , and today the monopolies are
>transnational rather than national. Pretty soon there will be one ,
>big company running the whole world, the ultimate centralization.

No, that will never happen. Which is why it's wrong to use the word "monopolies" to describe very big companies. GM, Ford, and Toyota are all very big, but they compete against each other. Ditto Disney and Bertelsman. The closest thing to a monopoly today is Microsoft, and it's under legal attack, with Linux nipping at its heels.

>The workers of the world must unite in one big organization to
>counter this, so our movement must be more centralized.

Why? Centralized under whose command? On what principles? If you emulate capital, don't you run the risk of becoming indistinguishable from it?

Doug