Anticommunism Web Site (re: anticommunism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 12 16:10:51 PDT 2000

kelley wrote:

>hmmm. is this along the lines of the thatcher quote: society
>doesn't exist? sorry for way over quota but this is bugging crap
>outta me. probably b/c i have a deadline.

Not Maggie's quote: "There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then to look after our neighbour." (Margaret Thatcher,'Womens Own', 31 October 1987.) As I remember my conservative ideology, it's thought that liberals and Marxists share a belief in the perfectability of human society - that humans make their own history, and therefore they can make it better. To which the troglodyte, I mean conservative responds: hubris! We must accept our human limits and acknowledge that God and/or Nature dictate(s) the conditions of our lives, and that any attempt to improve human society (outside the beauties of the market, of course) will lead inevitably to the Gulag.

Doug