Anticommunism Web Site (re: anticommunism

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Jul 12 17:28:09 PDT 2000

At 07:10 PM 7/12/00 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>kelley wrote:
>
>>hmmm. is this along the lines of the thatcher quote: society doesn't
>>exist? sorry for way over quota but this is bugging crap outta
>>me. probably b/c i have a deadline.
>
>Not Maggie's quote: "There is no such thing as society. There are
>individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do
>anything except through people, and people must look after themselves.
>It's our duty to look after ourselves and then to look after our
>neighbour." (Margaret Thatcher,'Womens Own', 31 October 1987.) As I
>remember my conservative ideology, it's thought that liberals and Marxists
>share a belief in the perfectability of human society - that humans make
>their own history, and therefore they can make it better. To which the
>troglodyte, I mean conservative responds: hubris! We must accept our human
>limits and acknowledge that God and/or Nature dictate(s) the conditions of
>our lives, and that any attempt to improve human society (outside the
>beauties of the market, of course) will lead inevitably to the Gulag.
>
>Doug

jesus. now i *really* know why i had to read joseph de maistre for my hisotry/development of social theory course. shite. and i'm dealing with one of them right now at another list. criminy. this is so damn ancient? this is so damn confused when i think of other positions that cons take

that said, i think there's some truth to the need to question "human perfectibility" thesis. ahhhh. fond memories of social theory course and my soc professors thesis about sociology's attempt to weave a path b/t the cons and the libs of the time. i have some really cool doodles i drew during those lectures.

kelley