Fwd: What if the Republicans were ousted from control ofCongress

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Wed Jul 12 16:46:44 PDT 2000

>>Do I really want to fight over prayer, abortion, evolution, and
>>privatization of public education and social security? Do I want to
>>fight over a nebulous plethora of social issues called family values
>>that mask an endless stream of racism, sexism, homophobia, and try to
>>keep judiciary appointments out of the hands of proto-humanoids?
>>
>>Chuck Grimes
>
>Chuck's point seems to be that if Americans can't learn to *fight the
>Democrats in power*, our opposition to neoliberalism won't get
>anywhere; and that with the Republicans in power, we would be still
>fighting (together with the Democrats, alas) against the views that
>*shouldn't* belong to the twenty-first century to begin with (like
>opposition to abortion), without getting around to fighting against
>neoliberalism. Those who have argued with Chuck haven't really
>responded to his thesis.
>
>Yoshie

I can't imagine a worse fate for rightwing social movements than to have G.W. Bush as their standard-bearer. A Bush presidency will shock the nation into recognition of the fundamental stupidity of the Christian and free-market right. Four years of this guy is guaranteed to take the steam out of all the big issues of the right. Look what happened to the Contract with America. Who, besides Newt Gingrich, was capable of defeating Newt Gingrich? On the other hand, if Gore wins, the far right will continue quietly building strength, adding to our insecurity and keeping us locked in abject dependence on the New Democrats.

Let the enemy destroy itself.

Ted