anti-communism

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Jul 12 21:18:55 PDT 2000

. . . In the second category - periods without acute repression of the
> revolutionary left, self-described in 1920 by the rulers
as "normalcy" - it
> is true that many non-communists have defended the civil
liberties of
> communists, though more would of course be better.

[mbs] I agree that anti-communism of the type, "I disagree w/communism but I endorse your right to uphold it," is associated with failure in the breach to endorse, much less defend, civil liberties when it is relatively perilous to do so. But you can't criticize someone for having a high probability for committing hypocrisy in the future.

Obviously the more dangerous an opinion, in terms of its capacity to disrupt the status quo, is a major factor in the extent to which it enjoys legal protection and social sanction. But there is still a difference between rejecting the opinion and denying the right to uphold such an opinion.

> Max, did you really get to cite Monthly Review on Fox
News?
> john mage

no I didn't get MR in. It was a short show -- about eight minutes of actual give and take. The doug-plug came in naturally because my debating partner starting talking about the suffering of the rich, and LBO has a piece on wealth distribution.

I even got Tom Walker in one of my columns once, cause I think he's such a cool dude.

I imagine there will be more chances.

mbs