German tax reform

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 17 07:31:43 PDT 2000

Peter van Heusden wrote:

>Does this mean the end of the German bank-borgs (at least in their current
>form)? Is this the herald of 'shareholder power' in Germany? Is this the
>start of the end of Europe as we know it?

It's a milestone in the end of Europe as we know it. The creation of the euro was also a herald of shareholder power, continent-wide. But transforming German finance & corporate governance in a more Anglo-American fashion is obviously the cracking of a big nut.

Note how the Christian Democrats positioned themselves as the defender of smaller business, and the Social Dems were the servants of big capital.

> Do I ask too many stupid
>questions?

No.

Doug