pres polls

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Thu Jul 20 01:20:30 PDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 nathan.newman at yale.edu wrote:

> Them too. A lot of Nader support there I am sure. One of my favorite
> lines way back when I was in the Berkeley grad union were comments by
> the grad union leadership that "only intellectuals are interested in
> union democracy." And they refused to join the Central Labor Council
> since they sort of looked down on other unionists - a big problem when
> they wanted solidarity support.

As a proud member of the grad union movement, Nathan, I can honestly say you have no idea of what you're talking about. Leaders aren't the issue - you'll get one group one year, another the next (grads graduate). What's important is getting membership-run institutions going -- one-on-one organizing, local issues, lots of networking with the town-gown connection. You radicalize the union and build long-term democratic structures, instead of expecting radicalized leaders to fall magically from the sky.

What's your excuse to vote for Al "Oil Can" Gore, anyway? This I have to hear.

-- Dennis