California water

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Jul 20 12:37:48 PDT 2000

Passed over in the article is the way that one group can claim ownership to water that it used by others. For example, a local irrigation district can agree to sell water rights, which means pumping the water out from under my house. As the water table declines, my neighbors and I will just have to dig deeper for water. That sort of transaction is becoming common.

The water table is sinking fast around the state. Plans have been on the table for a long time to bring water down from Canada or Alaska, but so far that has not been done.

At the same time, the quality of the remaining water declines. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu