[Fwd: Spivak & Marxism-Feminism (was Re: And another thing)]

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 21 10:43:18 PDT 2000

>Why the impulse to rescue the Koran -- on the part of supposed leftists,
>Marxists, secular atheistical people? Who cares if the Koran doesn't
>call exactly for death for adultery -- but "just" 100 lashes or being
>locked up on your house till you die? Or if the Koran allows women to
>inherit some small fraction of property -- much less than their
>brothers? I don't think you can get to gender equality or gender
>justice if it has to be brought in line with a 7th cent text. for
>example -- what about the notion that 'adultery" does not deserve any
>punishment? that flogging is grotesque?
>
>Katha

Why do you not reach the same conclusion when it comes to Al Gore (a white centrist born-again Christian who helped to end AFDC) versus Ralph Nader & Winona LaDuke (a Lebanese-American presidential candidate & Native American vice presidential candidate who are populists and environmentalists)? Why the impulse to rescue Gore & the Democratic Party (for those posters who don't know, see Katha's latest column in _The Nation_)? Endorsing the Dems is like saying that "'just' 100 lashes" is good enough for gender equality & welfare of the poor in America & in the Third World. Why encourage people to vote for liberal imperialism? What about the notion that imperialism is grotesque? Don't you think that you can't get to gender equality or gender justice worldwide if it has to be brought in line with the limits of the Democratic Party?

Yoshie