The house that Jack built

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri Jul 21 17:28:28 PDT 2000

> Michael Perelman wrote:
> > I thought that a GE, vp., Bulwer (sp?), was the bulwark of anti-union
> activity during the 50s and maybe early 60s.
>
> I vaguely remember a whole book on the history of GE's piorneering in
> anti-union strategy and tactics. The memory is vague, but I did pick up
> from somewhere that GE for nearly a century has been a real leader in
> anti union activity. Welch merely carried on company tradition.
> Carrol

Among other things, GE: *funded 'free enterprise' exhibits, films, literature & school programs

by early 1940s *spearheaded post-WW2 Ad Council anti-union 'economic education' campaign *set up plant-based supervisor-employee 'human relations' programs

to compete with union stewards for worker allegiance *ran 'public service' ads warning of dangers to 'individual freedom' of

welfare state & communism *established in-plant economic education' and 'worker recreation' programs *attempted to build 'company consciousness' via non-collective bargaining

benefits & profit-sharing *established 'community relations' programs *hired Ronnie Raygun to host TV program and give anti-labor/anti-state talk

(singular since he gave same one for 30+ yrs) around country, *was first major corporation to back 1958 California right-to-work

proposal (and actively supported similar efforts in Colorado, Idaho,

Kansas, Ohio & Washington)

See: Ronald Schatz, _The Electrical Workers: A History of Labor at General

Electric & Westinghouse, 1923-60_, University of Illinois Press, 1983 Elizabeth A. Fones-Wolf, _Selling Free Enterprise: The Business Assault

on Labor & Liberalism, 1945-60_, University of Illinois Press, 1994

Michael Hoover