Fwd: DEBATE: (Fwd) UN protest action

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 23 13:16:05 PDT 2000

[Damn IFG is everywhere.]

ATTENTION ALL ANTI-GLOBALIZATION, PRO-DEMOCRATIZATION ACTIVISTS!

A Coalition has formed to organize a massive people's presence at the United Nations Millennium Summit in New York City on September 6-8th, 2000. This is the largest gathering of heads of state in history, and it demands the energetic attention of all those fighting against the continued path of the globalization, militarization and de-democratization of the world.

We are envisioning a week of teach-ins and actions, beginning with the International Forum on Globalization planned for Sept 5th. This day of learning focuses on "Economic Globalization and the Role of the United Nations." Discussion will center on the question of whether the UN can be at all salvaged from corporate and super-power dominance. Guest speakers include Vandana Shiva, Anuradha Mittal, David Korten, Victor Navasky, and many others. For more information, please visit http://www.ifg.org

September 6th will feature demonstrations targeted at pressuring the UN and member states to sign, ratify, and implement several specific treaties that will be considered at the Summit. Please join S6-Mobilization at egroups.com to help plan for a day of action around proposals such as the International Criminal Court, the Tobin Tax, and UNILETS.

September 7th is a day to demand that the increasing militarization of the world must stop, and that the people do not tolerate games such as Star Wars to be played out between the elites at the expense of humanity. Rather, attention, research and money must be funneled toward the development of energy-saving, environment-protecting technologies that will keep the earth safe and sustainable for future generations.

September 8th will be the culmination of the weeks events, with attention directly aimed at the non-democratic structures of all international institutions that keep the will of the people from being implemented. Please join S8-Mob at topica.com to help plan for a day demanding a truly democratic world that works for the people and the planet -- not free trade and corporate profit.

Below is the official call for the Mass Action on Sept 8th. Included in it is more contact info, including information on how your organization can endorse this call to action and/or contribute financially.

Our Current List of Endorsers and Steering Committee members are: 50 Years is Enough; Jubilee 2000 Global South; Corporate Watch; Program on Corporations, Law, and Democracy; Economic Justice for Africa Now; the Free Burma Coalition and the Coalition for Dignity & Amnesty for Undocumented Immigrants.

Please help forward this call to the rest of the world via all your networks and activist listserves.

The People's Summit:

Making the United Nations accountable to the peoples of the world.

On September 6-8, 2000, the United Nations will host the UN Millennium Summit, the largest gathering of heads of state in history, to set the agenda for the world for the new millennium. Political and corporate leaders will consider the ratification of over 500 treaties that declare the need for economic, social, political, and cultural human rights for all peoples. However, the hierarchical structure and openness to corporate influence of the UN, make it close to impossible for the will of the people to

The UN Charter opens with the words "We, the People". The theme of the UN Millennium Summit is "We the Peoples: The Role of the United Nations in the 21st Century." To ensure The People are represented, all are invited to converge for a People's Summit in the streets of New York City on Sept. 8th in recognition of this historic concentration of power and to send our message that a radically different system is needed.

In light of the deepening crises of poverty, racism, armed conflict, ecological devastation, militarization, human rights abuses, exploitative labor, cultural dissolution, the further impoverishment of the peoples of the global South, the eroding democracy caused or exacerbated by corporate globalization, and the corporate agenda of the IMF, World Bank, and WTO, and to have any hope of elevating the quality of life of all the world's people, the goal of the Millennium Summit of World Leaders MUST be to de

S8 Mobilization is a coalition of international organizations working to mobilize a massive people's presence at the Millennium Summit to reclaim the United Nations for all and to advance a people's agenda for the 21st century. S8 Mobilization supports the founding mission of the United Nations to end war by fostering peace and true security through solidarity and we hold this mission as one of our own. We must not allow the corporate takeover of the United Nations, its adoption of the goals of the multin

Join us to tell the "leaders" of the world what real global human development is. On September 8th, bring your ideas of what democracy really looks like to the streets of New York City for a day of protest, direct action and international celebration. Just as on the streets of Seattle, DC, Philly and LA, the voices of the people will be heard in New York and will not be silenced until real change comes.

Our mobilization needs your support.

Our meetings are: Tuesdays at 6pm at The Church Center for the UN.

777 UN Plaza, 44th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenues); 7th Floor

Financial contributions can be made to out to:

S8-Mobilization

c/o Nisha Anand

255 18th street, Apt 406

Brooklyn, NY 11215

For more information on tax-deductible contributions, please call Nisha Anand: (718) 369-2724.

If your organization would like to endorse this call, please email S8-Mob at onebox.com, or call the voicemail number at (212) 894-3761 x1207 and leave a message specifying which organization is endorsing the call and leave contact info. Also, if you would like to be an integral part of the planning for this historic event, please join the listserv by sending a blank email to:

S8-Mob-subscribe at topica.com