The ABCs of the limits of private debt in the US

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 23 13:15:03 PDT 2000

Michael Pollak wrote:

>"What if they start saving again?" Wynne Godley on the US economy
>
>London Review of Books: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v22/n13/godl2213.htm

Godley predicted the ugly end of the Thatcher boom, one of the few economists to do so. Maybe that gives him some extra credibility, or maybe it's a coin toss.

The other night on my radio show, Ellen Frank, an economist, said that "we don't really understand how the economy works." I saw a piece by Brad De Long the other day that said almost the same thing. What a funny business, economics.

Doug