"One Market Under God, and Heaven Help Us All"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 27 09:15:10 PDT 2000

Peter van Heusden wrote:

>P.S. Don't you want to move to South Africa? Getting figures on things
>here is just too damn tough!

For all the many faults of the U.S., we've got more data more freely available and in a more timely fashion than any other country I know of. When I was doing my State of the USA Atlas, the British editor/packager couldn't believe how easy it was for me to get even unpublished figures from Census and BLS - and how easy it was to talk to the stat-gatherers about the strengths and limitations of their data.

Doug