"One Market Under God, and Heaven Help Us All"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 28 10:11:58 PDT 2000

Michael Perelman wrote:

>Doug, certainly the averages have increased, but have degrees from lower
>ranking colleges seen much of an increase in value. Many of our graduates
>are doing jobs that high school students might have done a few decades
>ago.

That's almost true by definition, since the share of the labor force with college degrees has grown a lot over the decades. There's a lot to the Bowles/Gintis argument that college grads earn more not because of their great skills, but because the credential is a sign to employers that the worker is a good soldier.

Then there's this (I haven't read the full paper, just this abstract):