"One Market Under God, and Heaven Help Us All"

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Jul 28 14:58:24 PDT 2000

It seems hard to know how to interpret the paper based on the abstract. Students are indeed selected on the basis of their respective earnings, in the sense that children of wealthy alumni are likely to have good earning capacity. It makes sense that the children from lower income groups admitted to elite colleges would see an increase in earnings, but it is difficult to determine if the college is selecting for the same characteristics that make for high earnings. In that case, the degree would not mean anything.

To take a simple example, imagine a student from a low income family who is a terrific athlete. After graduation, he earns millions of dollars per year as an athlete, although the degree is irrelevant.

A better test would be to look at the recruiters that come to a campus. The same recruiters do not come to Chico that go to Stanford.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu