Krugman quality control worsens

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 28 16:28:34 PDT 2000

Gordon Fitch wrote:

>Doug wrote:
>> >This is hilarious. Chavez is guilty of stoking class antagonisms in
>> >an oil-rich country where, as the NYT article pointed out, 80% of the
>> >population lives under an undefined poverty line. Clearly the
>> >counterrevolution is already well underway.
>
>Eric Beck:
>> It's starting to sound like Guatemala 1954: mildly leftist,
>> sorta-nationalist government makes some motions at land and wealth
>> redistribution; it's all fairly innocuous, but of course we must nip this
>> commie thing in the bud. Probably we'll have to use brutal force.
>
>Now being shipped to neighboring Colombia.

Another complaint in the NYT article: "Mr. Chavez abruptly withdrew Venezuela from annual American-sponsored joint naval maneuvers and just this week accused the United States of trying to install a missile base in neighboring Guyana. But perhaps most immediately troubling to Washington is his decision to ban American drug surveillance flights from using Venezuelan airspace."

It's so nice to have a daily newspaper that tells you what the ruling class is troubled by.

Doug