"One Market Under God, and Heaven Help Us All"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 28 17:03:19 PDT 2000

Michael Perelman wrote:

>Yoshi, talk to Doug about this. I believe that Yale's president, Richard
>Levin, an economist, first proposed the idea of "selective investment,"
>following the logic of corporate downsizing. It soon became picked up by
>univeristy administrators around the country.

Actually, as I remember it, former Yale president Benno Schmidt - now head of Chris Whittle's for-profit schools enterprise - came up with this idea. He proposed eliminating sociology and cutting back on Lat Am studies. There was a faculty rebellion and Beano was out. I don't know what Levin's up to.

Doug