"The Moral Sense in Estate Tax Repeal"

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Jul 30 20:59:16 PDT 2000

Tom_Roche at ncsu.edu:
> "Can We Appropriate the Rich?" Sure! and the estate tax is IMHO a
> great way to do it. So why hasn't the left gone after estate tax
> repeal with both barrels? Instead, the media seems to, when it covers
> the issue at all, be dominated by crap like the following.
>
> BTW, if anyone could pass pointers to good rebuttals, I'd appreciate.
> I got this from my Econ 205 instructor, who is very much neo-con, neo-
> classical, and not at all disinclined to vector his views via the
> classroom. But I do get the opportunity to refute when inclined (i.e.
> when equipped); your prompt assistance is appreciated.

Is this something that can be rebutted? It's normative. If you're a liberal, you believe in a certain kind of class system; a zero estate tax helps preserve that class system. Therefore, to liberals, it is good, or so one would think. The most one can do is clarify what maybe the media and academic functionaires in your locale are obscuring, the class-war aspects of the issue. As many people approve of the class system, however, this is not a rebuttal, merely the beginning of a possible subversion.