Shrinking the turnaround rhetoric

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Mon Jun 5 22:55:11 PDT 2000

It's not about me; it's about Dolan [PC] not contacting a shitload of people, in Seattle and elsewhere. You have no idea how pissed a lot of people in this town are at him and PC. How many people from all those other groups listed were invited to help write the document?

As for the proposals:

>No Patents on Life
The patenting of life forms must be prohibited in all national and international regimes.

How do they plan to get around the Supreme Court's decision in Diamond vs. Chakravarty?

>There must be a
prohibition on export subsidies and other forms of dumping of agricultural products, especially on third world countries.

Breaking up ADM and Cargill etc. seems like better targets to this dolt. The prohibitions would of course violate some nations' sovereignty.

>Special and Differential Treatment
Special and differential rights for third world countries must be recognized, expanded, and operationalized in the world trading system. This is to take into account the weak position of third world countries in the international trading system. Without the enforcement of special and differential rights, there can be no possibility of third world countries benefitting from world trade.

This MUST be framed in terms of technology transfer in order to acheive greater specificity; but that leads back to the issue of subsidies. As a taxpayer I'm more than happy to send the South medical technology, water treatment facilities etc., instead of fighter planes and helicopters. Actually the above should be put in the form of restraints/obligations on the North; the buzzword being the democratization of the terms of trade.

>Take TRIPS Out: Restore National Patent Protection Systems
We demand the removal of the Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights Agreement (TRIPS) from the WTO. There is no basis for inclusion of intellectual property claims in a trade agreement. Additionally, the TRIPS agreement promotes monopoly by transnational corporations; prevents access to essential medicines and other goods; leads to private appropriation of knowledge and life forms; undermines biodiversity; and keeps poorer countries from increasing their levels of social and economic welfare and developing their technological capacity.

While they're at it, go after the WIPO and of course hang the twelve US CEO's who formed the Intellectual Property Committee that designed the TRIPS right before Punta del Este in '86.

>Democratize Decision-Making
People must have the right to self-determination and the right to know and decide on international commercial commitments. Among other things, this requires that decision-making processes in negotiations and enforcement at international commercial bodies be democratic, transparent and inclusive. The WTO operates in a secretive, exclusionary manner that shuts out most third world country Members and the public. It is dominated by a few powerful governments acting on behalf of their corporate elites.

Agree totally, but see Star Wars: The Phantom Menace [the Senate scene :)]

>Also, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and the regional
development banks must write off 100% of the debts owed to them by poor countries. The use of structural adjustment conditionality to force trade liberalization in third world countries and elsewhere must be stopped.

This belongs in a statement condemming/shrinking/nixing the IMF/WB etc., as they are the ones doing the strong arming.

Ian