Rent Control: Open-and-Shut Case?

Pacitti, Aaron (CAP, PTL) Aaron.Pacitti at penske.com
Thu Jun 8 13:26:21 PDT 2000

In an urban settings like NYC or SF, the whole rent control issue seems to be assuming a fairly elastic supply curve for apartments (that is, they can be built wherever and whenever). I think that this isn't as true as most might think. In reality (as I'm sure any one who lives in or visited NYC or SF can attest to) there isn't much available land to construct new apartments...unless of course you build up. This means that there is a fairly inelastic supply curve for apartments - the area to build is scarce and moderately fixed.

The implications become a lot less dramatic when elasticity is factored into the mix: if rent controls are eliminated then rents are sure to go up, but since the supply curve is fairly inelastic (extremely steep), then the resulting new units that could be built would be less than commonly anticipated. This is a straight supply and demand curve analysis showing one equilibrium with controls and one without. In other words, the proportion of the increase in rent to the increase in available apartments would be grater in the non-controlled equilibrium than the controlled equilibrium.

Any ECON 101 student should be able to figure out who benefits when these controls are eliminated.

Aaron