If code is free, why not me?

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Thu Jun 8 19:17:45 PDT 2000

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, kelley crossposted from Annalee:

> When programmers see that software production is dramatically improved in a
> shared, non-competitive, free environment, wouldn't it be natural for them
> to apply what they've learned from coding to what they practice in their
> everyday lives -- including their sex lives?

The code may be free, but human beings aren't code, and no computer program comes even close to the subtlety and sophistication of small children, say, let alone adult human desire. Folks chilling out and partying is cool, but there is such a thing as non-proprietary monogamy. Some of us just mate for life, I guess.

> Open-source enthusiasts are likely to see applications for open-source
> strategies in a vast number of arenas, including politics, the creation of
> literature and even hardware design.

Transmeta, sure. But this particular litcritter would argue that it's the other way around: open-source was invented by culture (the notion that all books can be read, or that theoretical results need to be published, or that all citizens should be able to vote, e.g.) and then was applied centuries later to the realm of computers.

-- Dennis