White Trades Insults With CockburnEach Calls Other "Racist",

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 14 06:58:13 PDT 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Patrick Bond wrote:

> ... I've been in SA townships during police raids, Port-au-Prince,
> Chiapas, and other hotly contested sites, but never have seen and felt
> the fear of ordinary people like in rural Zimbabwe last week...

Is Chomsky too sanguine in this comment from the Z Magazine forums?

... As it looks to me, in Zimbabwe

there has been a considerable upsurge in

government violence against the political

opposition, which might well win election

otherwise. That's been accompanied by sharply

increased efforts by Black veterans and others to

take by force the lands that they feel should be

theirs, not without reason. After independence,

Britain agreed to play a constructive role in

arranging transfer of land from white owners who

hold the vast bulk of the good land to the Blacks

who are the overwhelming majority of the

population, and basically had their lands stolen

from the during the imperial conquest. Britain

hasn't done so. Zimbabwe is in serious economic

difficulties. I think these circumstances have

led to heightened concern on the part of Britain

and others. The Netherlands, for example, have

offered to provide funds for language [land?]

purchase-transfer, but on condition that Mugabe

cuts off violence against his enemies, Black and

White...

--C. G. Estabrook