White Trades Insults With CockburnEach Calls Other "Racist",

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Wed Jun 14 01:23:22 PDT 2000

> From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net>
> White has relatives in Rhodesia who have lost property as a result of the
> ZANU-PF. The ZANU-PF, far from being a native black movement, is controlled
> by a white Marxist in Britain -- a Marxist of the same sort as Mr Cockburn.

Huh, what bizarre material is this you're passing along, Michael? I spent the last six days travelling the back roads of the largest province in Zimbabwe, mainly with human rights monitors, visiting sites of rural terror where government opponents are under intense threat in the run-up to the national parliamentary elections next week. One vignette: the driver and a colleague of opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai were petrol-bombed on the main roadway through Buhera Constituency (where Tsvangirai is running against the provincial governor) one evening a few weeks ago, and the pickup truck remains there, by the side of the road, on its side -- a reminder to all who pass along that road that the two activists' coffin could be their's too. I've been in SA townships during police raids, Port-au-Prince, Chiapas, and other hotly contested sites, but never have seen and felt the fear of ordinary people like in rural Zimbabwe last week...