Gun Nuts on left and right

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 18 12:58:37 PDT 2000

It's my passive-aggressive streak at work. Accusing the ultra-lefts of what the "right-wing socdems" like me, do too. Wish I still had the e-mails, I had on the internal squabbling and turf wars in Texas, but it's probably just as well, you know the 'ol dirty laundry thing.

I was thinking, Carrol Cox, was gonna say, I'm implying a "moral equivalence" between the white and Black militia nutter, ala the neo-cons vs. the New Left, (I am, says someone who read, Humanism and Terror, " by Merlau-Ponty long ago, and since has come to disagree with his stance thbere re: revolutionary violence" as did Maurice, cf. his "Adventures of the Dialectic") but, Carrol has made clear who he reads and who he doesn't. Oh well, there is still time.

As to my motivations, I like a good food fight like (some) of us. I used to think debate opened up the process of "finding the truth" (too much Habermas, in my youth?) Now, I think, positions just get polarized and polemicized into competing dogmatisms. (Maybe, I'll read some Carl Schmitt, no? ;-: )But, further, I cannot say, for once I'll take the counsel of Carrol, and try to abjure "mind reading".

Michael Pugliese, factionalist, diversionist. Think I need to learn some martial arts to express my "surplus hostility" so I don't use the internet and y'all to dump on...It's always easier to divert anger to a closer target than the "real enemy".

----- Original Message ----- From: Stephen E Philion <philion at hawaii.edu> To: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> Cc: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <brc-discuss at lists.tao.ca> Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2000 12:17 PM Subject: Re: Gun Nuts on left and right