Where was the Color at A16 in D.C.?

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Jun 20 07:18:04 PDT 2000

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> Chuck0:
> > I don't see how this relates to race. This is an activist style that needs to
> > be changed. Fortunately we are seeing a willingness by many activists to
> > think outside the box.
>
> Maybe the alleged race problem should be stated more precisely.
> We have a particular view of a particular demonstration under
> particular circumstances on a few particular days which is
> supposed to show something significant about a large, widespread,
> variegated movement that has been going on for several decades.
> The steps to the conclusion, however, have not been shown, in
> the absence of which the charges, if that's what they are,
> sound mighty like some mainstream media hack's inevitable tale
> of spoiled White upper-middle-class brats.

Well, this variegated movement only goes back 4 or 5 years. It really got started in January 1995 with the Chiapas uprising. Then came the two big meetings of "Encuentro For Humanity And Against Neoliberalism," the first of which was in Chiapas in 1996 and a second one which was held in Spain the following year. Also during this time we saw the rise of Internet-based activism, which dramatically helped people network (instead of joining organizations). In the late 90s we saw North American activists adopting more militant forms of direct action (i.e. Earth First! and animal rights actions) and the importation of tactics from Reclaim the Streets in the U.K.

The first big networked international action against capitalism was J18 last year, which was coordinated on the Internet and even utilized rave culture methods to get the word out. Then came N30/Seattle and so on.

I think it was a really cheap shot for the boss media to pick on the racial composition of the A16 coalition. This was pretty dishonest, seeing how it was more diverse than they were saying. It was also hypocritical, given that the boss media does a crappy job covering race issues and the concerns of people of color.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe