Ugh.

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at mail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:10:48 PDT 2000

Ah. I only asked because, strangely enough, the local LP actually *does* have a chair who likes to remind folks that he needs to commute back to the Maryland burbs.

I always knew you was astute and incisive, kel, but I had no idea you possessed psychic abilities...

------Original Message------ From: kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com, lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Sent: June 21, 2000 12:15:41 AM GMT Subject: Re: Ugh.

At 07:34 PM 6/20/00 -0400, Alex LoCascio wrote:
>kelley,
>
>My capacity for understanding irony has been slowly whittled away since I
>left the list months ago (god help me, I'm turning into Carrol Cox!). So
>please, explain just what the hell you're saying below.

i'm saying that in response to comments about the poor and people of color and women not getting involved a single man with no children said, essentially, that he understood because he had to commute. that kind of thing is just the kind of thing that makes people of color, the poor and women and men with family obligations say "fuck this shit".

it's just the kind of thing that happens all the time when some sort of equivalency is made. now, i don't like to play more oppressed than thou, not at all. but the point is the author of the above statement hasn't bothered, it would appear, to ever really figure out what the issues are or even bothered to listen because when he fired up that meeting then he would have said, "i know some of you folks have families, physically demanding jobs, mind-enervating jobs, or work two and three jobs to make the same 30k salary i make per year so i'd like to try to get out of this meeting at X" (yes chuck0, i'm talking about you)

yeah, i know, a minor bleat. it might seem. but again, i stress that it's precisely the kind of thing that counts. talking the talking doesn't count. walking the walk does count and it counts because the person "gets it" and has tried to "get it".

your post brought it to mind because you referred to objective and subjective factors in making these organizations more hospitable to women.

______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup