Fwd: Endorse "D2k" at www.d2kla.org today!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 21 17:36:39 PDT 2000

Dear Friends,

We are writing to ask your endorsement of the D2K Network's Call to Action and the mass mobilization: "Human Needs Not Corporate Greed--March for Our Lives" being planned for Monday, August 14, 2000. Building on the spirit of Selma to Seattle, the D2K Network is composed of groups and individuals working to coordinate and support events and nonviolent protests during the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles, August 14-17.

The D2K Network is also coordinating with the R2K Network in Philadelphia to insure that both parties hear loud and clear that we demand a total change in priorities that support the people and planet before profits! Our goal is to help connect groups with common interests, urge them to take action on their own behalf while providing support from the network such as publicity, monitors, media or legal assistance. In an effort to help focus our activities we have developed four broad themes, one for each day of the convention.

· Mon: Human Needs Not Corporate Greed - March for Our Lives · Tues: An Injury to One is an Injury to All--Racial, Gender, Les/Bi/Gay/Trans, Economic and Environmental Justice! · Wed: Stop Police Brutality, the Prison-Industrial-Complex, the Death Penalty and the Criminalization of Our Communities--From Youth to Seniors: We Demand A Future! · Thurs: Global Economic Justice, End Militarism,For Immigrant,Indigenous and Worker Rights!

Numerous groups have already begun planning events and actions around the time of the convention. A calendar will be available soon, until then you can check our web page at www.d2kla.org.

We are asking you to join with us and other groups like the Fair Trade Network, the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy and the Action Resource Center in this call for justice. At a time when the gap between the rich and poor continues to grow, where our communities are ravaged in violence, where the safety net has been eroded and good paying jobs are hard to come by, it's time to take action and demand a change!

We are asking your organization to endorse this call and march and to make a financial contribution. We are asking that your contribution be based on your budget. Suggested endorsement levels are $150 for budgets over $50,000, $100 for over $25,000, $65 for over $5000 and $25 for under $5000. No organization will be turned away for lack of funds.

D2K Network, P.O Box 26364, Los Angeles, CA 90026 Call 323-660-3249 Y Fax: 323-292-7405 Y Email: d2kinfo at d2kla.org Y www.d2kla.org

Volunteers, staff time, in-kind donations such as printing and office space are also needed! To get involved in one of the work groups check the email addresses on our web page or call 323-660-3249. Please return the endorsement form at the end of the Call to Action. Thank you very much! We look forward to your increasing involvement.

Sincerely,

Juana Cuiriz Executive Director CLUE: Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice

Cecila Brennan Theresa Bonpane, Jai Ching Chen YOC -Youth Organizing Office of the Americas JustAct: Youth ACTion for Communities Global JUSTice OLIN, Bay Area

Michael Everett Lisa Fithian Joe Franko Chair, IATSE Local 728 Rise Up/DAN-LA Shawn McDougal Political Action Committee AFSC Regional Office

John Jackson Margaret Prescod Kevin Rudiger ACORN Int'l Black Women for UCLA Environmental Wages for Housework Coalition

Leonardo Vilchis Don White Union de Vecinos CISPES

P.S. An endorsement and immediate contribution will help build this new and exciting movement for global, social, economic, racial and environmental justice!

______ Yes, We Endorse the D2K Network Call to Action and March for Human Needs!

q We will make a financial contribution of: $____________ q We will do a mailing to our list q We will provide staff and/or volunteer time q We will provide copying or printing q We will provide space for meetings, trainings or an office q We will distribute this call to groups in our networks

Tax-deductible donations can be made out to D2KLA and mailed to the address below.

D2KLA, P.O Box 26364, Los Angeles, CA 90026 Call 323-660-3249 Y Fax: 323-292-7405 Y Email: d2kinfo at d2kla.org Y www.d2kla.org *