WHO HEALTH REPORT Japan health systems ranked best (???)

Peter J. Schledorn pjs at harpo.admin.unc.edu
Thu Jun 22 12:09:14 PDT 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Marta Russell wrote:
>
> >Blacks were considered three fifths of a person.
>
> That's a hideous statistic, but wasn't the effect of this to reduce
> Southern representation in Congress? I thought the masters wanted to
> count their slaves, but not let them vote.

Yes, that was the controversy. Certain relentlessly brainless right-wingers have used this as an argument for the moral superiority of the Southern representatives to the Constitutional Convention, because it was they who wanted to count slaves as whole persons in the Census, and the Northerners wanted to deny the slaves their humanity by not counting them.

These were also irony-free right-wingers.

Best, Peter

> Doug

Procrastinators have the advantage

of working with the very latest data available.

-Tom Talley