WHO HEALTH REPORT Japan health systems ranked best (???)

Thu Jun 22 11:54:03 PDT 2000

>Marta Russell wrote:
>
>>Blacks were considered three fifths of a person.
>
>That's a hideous statistic, but wasn't the effect of this to reduce
>Southern representation in Congress? I thought the masters wanted to
>count their slaves, but not let them vote.
>
>Doug

Yeah. And the North wanted representation to be based on the number of *citizens*.

Both John and John Quincy Adams would have won reelection for President had it not been for the 3/5 clause. This tended to make them annoyed...

Brad DeLong