One-Half Cheer for the Old Guard!

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jun 22 14:44:06 PDT 2000

. . . Arguably? If the Devil offered, I'd trade President Gore for Speaker Gephardt and Majority Leader Daschle in a New York minute. . . .

But the Devil is a tricky dude. Under Bush-sub-1 and a Democratic Congress, domestic spending increased more rapidly than it has under Clinton. Bush invaded the Gulf, Clinton . . . you know. Reagan set out to reform welfare and begat a mouse. Bush didn't do anything in that vein that I remember.

It always comes down to the Supreme Court. I wonder how often Clinton's appointees voted differently from the others, putting aside Scalia and Thomas.

mbs