One-Half Cheer for the Old Guard!

Thu Jun 22 14:17:35 PDT 2000

>As to sabotaging Prince Albert, I confess to being
>conflicted. A rip-roaring Ralph campaign could usher
>in a Democratic House of Reps, arguably more valuable
>than a President Al.

Arguably? If the Devil offered, I'd trade President Gore for Speaker Gephardt and Majority Leader Daschle in a New York minute.

But I'm greedy. I want all three...

>On the other hand, unlike Ralph, Al lets his
>employees unionize. Obviously there is much worse that
>could happen w/President Schrub. Like destruction
>of AFDC. Oops, that happened already.

Perhaps the greatest feat of mind control I ever saw was when David Ellwood and Gene Sperling convinced WJC that even though he didn't like "welfare" he liked Food Stamps and EITC--that they weren't part of "welfare."

GWB and company have no doubt that EITC and Food Stamps are part of "welfare" and would make good skeet at which to shoot...

Brad DeLong