One-Half Cheer for the Old Guard!

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jun 23 08:42:21 PDT 2000

AE: I suspect Hoffa's motivation in boosting Nader is partly to annoy Sweeney and other heavy Gore supporters like McEntee as payback for their aid to Ron Carey.

[mbs] I saw part of the press conference on C-Span. I thought Junior did an exemplary job, and Ralph was his usual razor-sharp self. The basic message I took from the event was the IBT's desire to see Nader and PB in the debates so that issues of importance to the working class were ventilated. Junior was emphatic and eloquent as to the neglect of labor in the present situation.

AE: People sometimes do progressive-sounding things for non-progressive reasons. I beginning to think Hoffa might actually endorse Nader or more likely decide to not issue any endorsement.

[mbs] Could be. I wouldn't know. But sometimes what you see is what you're get.

Gore is probably memorizing the words to 'Solidarity Forever,' all the verses.

mbs