Fwd: Truth is the First Casualty of War

Gary Bramstedt gbfoto at best.com
Fri Jun 23 20:02:24 PDT 2000

Seth Ackerman wrote:

> Brad DeLong wrote:
>
> > >Author Michael Zezima makes the case that the U.S did not enter WWII to
> > >stop fascism or to make the world a safer place. To the contrary, the
> > U.S.
> > >business class traded with Hitler and Mussolini up to and even during the
> > >war. Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh's public Hitlerphilia were
> > symbolic
> > >of big business's admiration for Hitler's anti-communism.
> >
> > This is completely incoherent. "The U.S." does not equal "The U.S.
> > business class"--especially not in 1940, when the U.S. business class
> > loathed FDR...
> >
> ---
>
> But FDR admired Mussolini, didn't he? And he did everything he could to
> install Nazi collaborators Giraud and Darlan in power in France, instead of
> De Gaulle, whom he truly loathed, almost hysterically...
>
> Seth

glb asks:

I can't find any references to Girauld or Darlan in my books (which deal mostly with the power brokers establishing and implementing policies in Europe prior to 1945) nor FDR's admiration of Mussolini. I think we have a parallel understanding of events but my information is limited; can you expand?