republican union members

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Sat Jun 24 16:33:53 PDT 2000

From: "Andrew English" <aenglish at igc.org>

My got feeling is a lot of that 40% votes GOP because of wedge issues (gay rights, abortion, tough on crime, guns) designed to split the labor vote. A lot of those votes would be won back if we had a labor party with a strong working class appeal. The wedge issues are so prominent precisely because on the basic economic pocketbook issues the two corporate parties are so much alike.

- -Andy English

Don't underestimate the wedge issues. And the GOP has demonstrated that you can flat out lie to enough Americans about taxes and spending to get the Presidency and/or Congress.

Frankly, if there's one thing that the GOP has proved skillful at, it is ripping off the middle/working class, and making them resent the Democrats for it.

Barry