Fwd: Fishing with Fidel

jason rice red666er at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 25 15:47:14 PDT 2000

I saw an online exhibit on lynchings a few months ago (sorry I dont have the address) and it was filled with old pictures of Southern whites in their Sunday best standing around the charred corpse of an African AMerican, smiling and drinking lemonade. The narrative tells of pieces of the mans body being stolen by the crowd as mementos of the day. This makes me wonder about the ritualistic/religious aspects of the death penalty, perhaps not as strongly prevalent as today but still exerting an influence. I have come across such notions in other readings, can anybody flesh them out? Jason Rice