RES: Korea's blessing

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 12:46:03 PDT 2000

In message <a04310104b57e9dadc950@[128.32.105.158]>, Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> writes
>No I don't. Stalin let slip the leash--and so started a war.

Most historians writing on this see the North Korean Workers Party as having more independence than the average Stalinist organisation. Kruschev blamed Kim Il Sung for dragging them into the war. After all it was Stalin who agreed the division of Korea with Roosevelt. Later Russian peace moves were denounced by the US hawks with the words 'when I hear the Soviets talking about peace I get worried'.

When Chinese representatives were sent to talk peace, MacArthur scheduled a fresh offensive to derail the talks. When they were delayed a week because of visa difficulties, MacArthur put the offensive back a week.

-- James Heartfield

Great Expectations: the creative industries in the New Economy is available from Design Agenda, 4.27 The Beaux Arts Building, 10-18 Manor Gardens, London, N7 6JT Price 7.50 GBP + 1GBP p&p