1900 House

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Jun 28 06:59:07 PDT 2000

jason rice:
> <red666er at hotmail.com> writes
> >Yes so wouldnt it really suck if due to resource depletion, enviromental
> >catastrophe, or the wars sure to pop up as a result of the two, we were
> >thrust into those barbaric conditions suddenly and with no choice in the
> >matter?

Jim heartfield:
> Since the circuit of matter exchanged between man and nature has only
> ever increased it is hard to know what 'resource depletion' you are
> talking about. Similarly 'environmental catastrophe' has the character
> of a religious belief - a secularised day of judgement.

Such things as the exhaustion of important resources and catastrophic breakdowns of the environment have been noticed on a small scale before now; I can supply examples if necessary. As human powers of production and transformation increase, then, it seems certain that misadventures of these kinds will become increasingly likely on a broader scale, especially if (as is now the case) those in authority and their flacks deny the possibility. Abstractly speaking, as a system acquires energy it can be expected to make more and greater state transitions. This is not religion.