Questions for you Nader Fans

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 30 16:26:54 PDT 2000

Michael Pollak wrote:

> Gore -- a pitiful kick in the facer who is sadly still the best on offer.
> And besides, as Nathan never tires of reminding us, what really counts for
> getting better organizing laws passed is finally getting a Senate majority
> some day.

I promise you if enough progressives continue to think this way by 2020 the "best on offer" will be rather to the right of where Bush is now. And we will have a Democratic Senate to the right of the curren Republican right. This is a counsel of utter despair.

And on the empirical record, that is on the basis of what happens, not on the basis of what the politicians say they want to happen, Republican administrations for the last 55 years have far more progressive results than have Democrat administrations. Kennedy appointed White. Bush appointed Souter. Public aid survived Reagan and Bush. Clinton destroyed it.

If Gore wins the Iraqi people won't have a chance and there will be U.S. troops in Colombia. It will be pretty awful under Bush. It will be much more awful under Gore. All these progressives who lean to Gore are almost moving me to vote for the first time since 1964 -- and vote for Bush.

Carrol