Vandalism is Art

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Mar 1 07:37:15 PST 2000

(from a fwd, from Chuck0): ``...Vandalism is art when art can no longer rescue meaning from the overwhelming absurdity of present material conditions. In a society that promotes a myth of total choice, the most crucial choice has been made criminal: the ability to create new meaning. The point where the myth and reality meet is the intersection of politics and art, the haunt of the vandal, the culture jammer, the anarchist. It is at this intersection that the barricades went up, November 30, 1999.''

Yesterday, Doug posted a web address for the people who coordinated the underground video and media coverage for Seattle. I looked them up. While wondering around their links, it occurred to me these folks could really use something like FreeBSD or Linux or some other version for their networks and computer gigs. So, I e-mailed them a suggestion with the download web addresses..

Here's what came today in the mail:

``Yup, some of our (Loudeye Technologies) servers run Linux and OpenBSD. We did the streaming for indymedia.org -- the Real streams are being served from Linux and FreeBSD. Cheers, Troy''

Cool, huh?

Chuck Grimes