hate crimes weirdness

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Wed Mar 1 12:04:46 PST 2000

O dear - bad mistake to mix it with the legal fraternity. I'm not a lawyer and I know precious little about the situation in the US. I think however that my point about the growing tendency to criminalise opinions still stands - certainly in the UK.

>Not _merely) what you think. If I want to kill you, that's my business. But
if I act on that want, what I think is an element of that crime. So, if I hate Blacks, that's my business. but if I beat or kill Blacks because I hate them, why isn't that punishable?

The beating or killing should be punishable - not the mental state.

>But hate crimes may involve physical violence or destruction of property.

Then you punish that.