The Heiress and the Anarchists

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 1 17:06:06 PST 2000

The appeal to utility lacks philosophy. The utilitarians, who are still legion, will find that a bit strange. Perhaps you could explain it. Also, many utilitarians are all for animal rights or at least maintain that animals have moral standing. Consider even a position such as Bentham's that considers pleasure the sole intrinsic good. It is quite clear that a broad range of species will experience pleasure and pain and hence causing pain to animals is prima facie bad and pleasure prima facie good.

Cheers, Ken Hanly