The Heiress and the Anarchists -- Animal Rights, etc.

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Mar 1 18:12:50 PST 2000

I was speaking of specifically human utility (or sometimes, the utility of a restricted set of humans). For instance, it is often argued that if animals are not used in research, more human beings will die of disease. Clearly, the utility of the humans who can afford the medicine derived from the research is the only utility of interest.

The problem with utilitarianISM is that -- supposing it is the greatest good for the greatest number -- we are left with the very difficult questions of deciding what "good" is and who the "greatest number" are. Many people find nothing wrong with confining and killing a conscious, intelligent, sentient being for, basically, entertainment (the taste of meat or the decor of fur), so it clear that for them the concept of "the greatest number" does not comprise non-human animals whose claim to ethical and political consideration must be vanishingly small if it their lives can be entirely consumed for another's momentary pleasures.

It is probably unnecessary to add that many people have not included certain classes of humans in the circle of the favored number, either, for similar reasons -- their lack of a soul, the necessity of preserving civilization, etc.

Gordon

Ken Hanly: