GM (was Calling James O'Connor!)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 11:08:07 PST 2000

>So why is it you do not recommend taking biotechnology under public
>ownership
>and control?

I take that as a given. Basically I favor putting the entire economy under public ownership and control. I think the development of GM technology is a discretionary activity that should not proceed until that transfer of ownership is effected.

>You ignore any of the possible benefits of the technology and stress risks.

For the simple reason that the "worst case" risks of GM outweigh any conceivable benefit. The pollution caused by traditional industries can be isolated and cleaned up. But a GM catastrophe involving the transfer of heritable traits to species in the wild would be self-replicating and could be uncontainable.