AFL-CIO president blasts globalization (kind of)

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 2 20:38:06 PST 2000

> > AFL-CIO president blasts globalization
> > By David Armstrong
> > OF THE EXAMINER STAFF
> > "Mexico has decent labor laws, but they're not enforcing them,"

Sweeney said.

Kind of interesting, the same argument could be made (with differences of course), vis China. Perhaps after they fail to win on MFN in China US labor will change its strategy somewhat ?

> > The organization has also broken with its political allies in the Clinton
> > administration by opposing China's proposed admission to the WTO, which Clinton
> > supports.
> > "China permanent NTR is the first real fight of our new campaign, and we are
> > determined to win it on our own terms."

Sounds like Sweeny et al are already getting ready for compromise after this failed strategy fails... "determined to win it on our own terms" isn't as strong as it might sound at first...

I think Martin Hart-Landsberg is correct in propsing that some better strategy vis China has to be worked out by labor...much like nationalism/protectionism failed to get anywhere with opposing the effects of NAFTA...

Steve