Michigan Shooting -- A message from Michael Moore

Pahtoo at aol.com Pahtoo at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 09:39:51 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/2/00 6:15:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, nathan.newman at yale.edu writes:

<< Isn't it enough that tens of thousands of lives in Flint have

been wrecked, destroyed by the greed of General Motors?

Isn't it enough that my wife and I and tens of thousands of

others who love our home -- love it more than any of you

will ever know -- have had to leave Flint in the past 20 years

to find work far from family and friends? >>

I'm a Flint expatriot myself. Mike has done well in noting that the no-one's land "townships" around Flint are comparable with Soweto.

But, this paragraph above is over the top. I'm proud of Mike and, even when I disagree with him (not too often), I know he's coming from the best of places. He's changed my mind on some big issues because of his integrity. Yet, I don't feel too good about the above characterization. There may indeed by "tens of thousands" of us, but very few (one, I believe) have moved to digs in New York City, with lots of money (he earned it and uses it commendably) and a media empire.

Fact is: Mike could easily live in Flint as could I.

Michael