Neither Pets Nor Meat (was Re: Peter Singer & Vegetarian Dogs)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 3 13:53:10 PST 2000

Chuck0 wrote:

>BTW, I feed my cat regular Science Diet. Cats are carnivores, dogs
>omnivores.

It occurs to me now that militant "animal rightists" would object to Chuck0 owning a pet cat.

"The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats....If people want toys, they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship, they should seek it with their own kind." (Ingrid Newkirk, national director, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals [PETA), _Animals_, [May/June 1993]).

"You don't have to own squirrels and starlings to get enjoyment from them....One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild...they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV." (Ingrid Newkirk, national director, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals [PETA], _Chicago Daily Herald_, March 1, 1990).

Yoshie