US politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 6 14:32:34 PST 2000

David Dorkin wrote:

>Hi Doug
>
>I was wondering if you could give any insight into the mindset of Reich
>and other relatively intelligent mainstream or liberal political and
>economic commentators; is Reich for example, any more insightful in
>private than in public and is he aware of your work and heterodox work
>in general?
>
>Same questions regarding Kuttner and any others you can think of. Come
>to think of it, whom would you consider to be interesting mainstream
>people who may be more progressive or insightful than most working in
>journalism, business and public affairs (i.e. not in overtly progressive
>of heterodox groups) or even closet radicals.

There are a few left-liberals and radicals scattered about the mainstream and business press (Biz Week, WSJ, FT), but not very many, as far as I can tell. I don't really know what Reich or Kuttner think in private. Both seem like decent folks whose heart is in the right place but fatally compromised by their links to the Dems.

Doug